Application/Nomination deadline is December 15, 2019.
Scholarships for Storymakers 2020 have been awarded and the recipients have been notified.
Recognizing that many aspiring writers do not have the financial means to attend the conference, the Board of Directors authorized the creation of Storymakers Conference Scholarships in April of 2012. We encourage our members to contribute to this scholarship fund so that we can assist as many struggling writers as possible.
You may apply for the scholarship for yourself or nominate someone else to be a recipient.
Storymakers Conference is committed to creating a supportive community for writers from all backgrounds. We strive to provide progressive, affordable experience in learning the art and business of writing. Financial assistance in the Storymakers Conference is vitally important in helping writers achieve their writing and publishing dreams.
Although our General Scholarship is need-based, we do not ask applicants to submit detailed financial information. When applying for either the General Scholarship or the Diversity Scholarship, please self-certify that you meet all the qualifications for the respective scholarship. Your certification will be taken and accepted at face value.
To demonstrate seriousness about a writing career, the applicant should indicate why they (or the person they are nominating) wish to attend the conference and what path they hope to take with their writing. This should be brief, but enough to demonstrate that the applicant (or the person they are nominating) will put the skills and tools they acquire at the conference to a good purpose. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to disqualify any application they judge as lacking merit.
A person may qualify for a scholarship just one time, unless unusual circumstances cause the committee to recommend a second scholarship. A second scholarship must be approved by the Board of Directors.
We offer Diversity Scholarships to those with marginalized voices that have been historically underrepresented in publishing. This includes (but is not limited to): Native peoples and people of color, people living and/or born/raised in underrepresented cultures and countries, people with disabilities, people on marginalized ends of cultural and/or religious spectrum, people identifying within the LGBTQIA+ community. While the Diversity Scholarship is not strictly determined on financial need-based criteria, it will be taken into consideration.
General Need-Based Scholarship
Our general need-based scholarship application is open to anyone struggling to afford attending the Storymakers Conference. Applicants should demonstrate that without financial assistance it would be difficult, if not impossible, to attend.
Nature of the Scholarships
Scholarships are available in the following forms:
- FRIDAY ONLY scholarship
- SATURDAY ONLY scholarship
- Full Enrollment: This scholarship pays the full fees for one qualified applicant to attend both days.
Scholarships cover the cost of registration only. They do not include travel expenses, lodging expenses, or any conference extras such as first chapter contests, intensive classes, or agent sessions.
Number of Scholarships Awarded
Since the scholarships are funded by voluntary contributions from members and sponsors, we do not know from year-to-year how much money is available. A five-person Scholarship Committee will be formed as a subcommittee of the Board of Directors of the LDStorymakers Guild to supervise the distribution of scholarships. It will consist of three active members of the Storymakers BOD.
This sub-committee will:
- Supervise the posting and review of the scholarship applications.
- Collect and circulate among themselves the applications to screen out those who are not qualified.
- Accept applications throughout the year.
- Meet at least two weeks prior to the opening of General Registration for the Conference to determine how many scholarships can be funded. (This means that any contributions received after this point-in-time will most likely be reserved for the following year; stated another way, the contribution period is a full year, starting and ending two weeks prior to the opening of Conference Registration, unless the BOD sees need to extend the time period through the end of that calendar year.)
Once the number of scholarships in each category is known, the committee will then choose the qualifying applicants as follows:
- If there are enough scholarships available to meet the request of applicants then the committee will notify the applicants that they have been accepted and provide direction on how to register.
- If there are more applicants in a category than available scholarships, the scholarships will be awarded based on the needs of the applicants as certified in the application.
Stewardship of Scholarship Funds
All contributions to the fund will be made by PayPal to our regular LDStorymakers account. The Secretary/Treasurer will account for the scholarship fund.
No funds will be given to scholarship recipients. Rather, they will be issued a voucher that can be applied against the cost of their registration.
The Board of Directors is responsible for the Scholarship Fund, but the direct awarding of the scholarships is the responsibility of the Scholarship Committee as indicated above.